ESPN BOTTOM LINE

Monday, July 1, 2013

Aaron Hernandez jerseys are hot items on eBay

From: Redzone.org

The NFL has stopped selling Aaron Hernandez jerseys and the New England Patriots are giving fans who have his jersey a free exchange.

But online, a market for Hernandez memorabilia has emerged. One man on Craigslist is offering to buy “anything” related to Hernandez , who has pleaded not guilty to the charges, Billy Baker of the Boston Globe reports.

On eBay, heavy bidding is often driving prices for items well above what the sellers paid for them. More than 1,700 people have viewed a Hernandez jersey listed by Ben Kent, a Pats fan from Virginia Beach. The bidding is up to $227. He paid $50 for it.

John Lamothe, who lives in Florida, is a huge Patriots fan, and he especially liked Hernandez because they had gone to the same school, the University of Florida.

But when the sordid details about the case piled on by the day, Lamothe looked at the Number 81 Aaron Hernandez Patriots jersey in his house and knew he wanted it gone.

“I thought about giving it to Goodwill,” he said, “but I didn’t think anybody would want it.”

So instead, he put it on eBay, the online auction site. “I thought I might get $15 for it,” he said.
On Sunday, it sold for $289.

Lynn L’Heureux of Oxford, whose $100 Hernandez jersey is up to $127 on eBay said, “I can’t think of any reason why people would want it.”

“They might think it will go up in value later on, and maybe it will, but I’m not interested. I just don’t want it in my possession. I want to use the money to buy a jersey that reflects my pride in the Patriots.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...