ESPN BOTTOM LINE

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Riley Cooper apologizes for racial slur

From: Redzone.com

The video that surfaced on Crossing Broad and then on Deadspin of Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper using the n-word at a Kenny Chesney concert went public just after the postpractice interview time ended,, Les Bowen of the Philadelpina Daily News reports. But Cooper released an apology in a series of Tweets.

"I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself," Cooper said. "I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, (to Eagles chairman) Jeffrey Lurie and (general manager) Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences."

The Eagles said Cooper will be available at some point Wednesday evening to speak with reporters. He is expected to take on a greater role in the offensive with Jeremy Maclin out for the season after tearing his right ACL.

Cooper, who turns 26 in September, was a fifth-round pick out of Florida in 2010. He was Tim Tebow's roommate and Aaron Hernandez's teammate. Cooper, who grew up in Clearwater, and was drafted by the Phillies in 2006, started five games at the end of last season, after DeSean Jackson suffered a season-ending injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...